FAQ - Employers
- More experience. With over 10 years of experience delivering quality employees and making solid recommendations to our clients, Select is at the forefront of the staffing and recruiting industry. We have filled over 30,000 temp and perm jobs in our history.
- Better processes. We take an aggressive approach to recruiting and put all candidates through a rigorous screening and interviewing process. We recruit top talent 24/7 using multiple marketing strategies. As well, we interview and screen candidates 8 hours a day – 5 days a week. We are in contact with many quality people!
- Comprehensive Service. Southern Alberta’s only full service firm providing businesses with a variety of Temporary and Professional Staffing options as well as HR Solutions.
- Superior results. Our services will help you more efficiently manage your workload, increase your productivity, and drive down labor costs.
Select offers both short and long-term flexible, Temp-to-Perm, and Direct Hire placement services. We also provide nationwide Professional Recruiting services. We are independently owned; therefore, we are able to customize our services to meet our clients’ needs.
Select is a full service staffing agency and we handle positions in all areas of clerical, professional, industrial and trades. Common jobs would be related to office, professional, management, industrial, trades, sales and engineering. With our broad base of applicants and quality recruitment resources, we are able to meet your business needs quickly and effectively.
We pride ourselves on the quality of our employees and feel our greatest resource is our past, present and future employees. The screening process for our applicants allows us to best match their skills and training to the positions.
By using the Temp-to-Perm program with Select, the hiring risk is out of your hands. If you are not satisfied with an employee, we will replace them, and you have not made the investment of hiring them onto your payroll. We cover WCB and unemployment costs as well as taking away the stress of recruiting and sorting through applicants for the ones who are qualified. Select invests in our own employees by providing training and certification for all of our office staff. We can be a resource to you when questions arise concerning staffing and employment.
No, our services are free to job seekers. The costs associated with providing flexible staffing and professional recruiting service fees are covered by the employers who use our services.
This is such an important part of our business. Select has developed several options to fit the diverse needs of our client base. It is our belief that we need to listen to our clients first, in order to determine the options which provide the best value and results. If you have a recruitment, retention or screening requirement, our staff will meet with you to identify how we can best meet your individual needs.
We have different solutions depending on your needs such as: Temp, Temp-to-Perm, Direct Hire, Referral, Top Talent Promotion, Recruitment, Search and HR Services. Once the right solution is determined, our search and recruitment efforts begin immediately. Select will obtain full details of the position from you so we will send the most qualified applicants to meet your needs. By clearly understanding the requirements of the position, we can select the best candidates for you.
You will be asked to complete a credit application and provide wage/salary information as well as a job description for the position. We will provide a rate letter to you as well as information about our services and policies.
In addition to the traditional methods—advertising, job fairs, school postings, and the Internet—SELECT utilizes:
- Referral Program & Sourcing: Select has long-established relationships with highly talented individuals, community centers, and local organizations. We tap into our network to source talent faster.
- Outbound Recruitment: At Select, we do not rely solely on passive recruiting methods. We direct recruit and solicit referrals from our talent network.
- Database Warehouse: Our custom-designed database allows us to quickly access thousands of already pre-qualified candidates.
The time frame for successfully finding an employee for you will vary based on our current employee base and your specific needs. We are committed to sending the most qualified applicants for your needs. You may decide to look at these candidates and complete an interview, or we can fill a position based on the qualifications you provide.
Temp – 24-48 hours
Direct Hire – 1-4 weeks
Search – 1-8 weeks
We realize that not every job is a perfect fit for every person and sometimes that does not become evident until the person is already working in that role.
Our Temp-to-Perm program provides an opportunity for you to see an employee in the work setting and determine if they are someone you would like to hire. If you are not satisfied with an employee, we can replace them. We also offer direct placement services and guarantee periods which vary based on the contract for each client.
All of our applicants are pre-screened, evaluated, interviewed, and references are checked to ensure they meet our hiring criteria. Some of our clients will also request a driving record screen, credit check or criminal background check. Select can provide these services as well as meet any other needs you might have for background or security screening.
Eliminate your payroll issues! Outsource your payroll to Select and reduce the associated costs and burdens. We handle the time-consuming and fine details associated with payroll processing so you can focus on core business activities. At Select, we know payroll is important to your business. Some of these details include:
- Data input and processing of employee hours
- Payroll deductions and remittances
- Wage garnishment deductions
- Issuance of Records of Employment
- Generation of T4s
- Direct deposit
- Flexible paydates
Our certified professionals become your payroll department, managing your payroll from beginning to end.
Approximately 75% of all business expenses are related to recruitment, hiring, turnover, benefits and absenteeism. Select provides recruitment and staffing solutions for temporary employees and other forms of flexible staffing, with five ways to reduce costs and optimize your human resource ROI.
- Absenteeism Savings - Our clients pay only for the work that is performed by Select temporary employees.
- Turnover and Recruitment Cost Savings - We manage all employee recruitment and turnover activity.
- "As Needed" Hiring - Clients use temporary staff during peak business periods and for special projects, eliminating high payroll expenditures during slower business periods.
- Overtime Savings - Clients can save on high overtime costs and maintain peak production by having additional temporary employees working shorter hours and/or during peak busy hours.
- Training Cost Savings - Select tests applicant knowledge, skill, personality and can also provide job-specific training, which has a positive impact on the client's bottom line.
A Temp-to-Perm arrangement occurs when an employee begins working at your company while remaining on our payroll for a provisional period. You pay an hourly billing rate, but there is no additional charge or obligation to hire the employee after the provisional period.
No. The benefit of using Temp-to-Perm is that it gives both the client and the employee the opportunity to see if there is a good fit between the two before making a job offer.
Your temp hourly rate covers the employee’s pay, vacation and stat holiday pay, Employment Insurance, CPP, WCB, our administrative and payroll costs, and advertising expenses. We invoice our clients and pay our Temp employees each week.
Our rates are determined by the level of skill, experience and responsibility that you require for the position. In addition, we consider current market conditions so that we remain competitive, attracting and retaining the best people for you.
We’re always pleased when we find the right match. Please call your Recruiter immediately before speaking with the employee. We’ll be happy to provide you with options to transfer the employee on to your payroll.